Social Media Icons

Pesquisar

Acknowledgements

I wanted to write this in English because it is meant to all the friends that I have made in Canada. I apologize in advance for any grammar mistake you will probably find along this post. What you need to know is that I have put my heart and soul onto this and made an effort to translate my feelings into words. I hope this gets to you all. 


Apart from the fact that getting an scholarship to come to Canada was a great opportunity, I have to say I thought over and over again before making my mind up on whether or not I was really supposed to come here. The truth is that I was scared to death. Scared of being alone for the very first time in my life. Scared of the cold weather. Scared of the unknown. Scared of not being able to make it on my own. Scared of the things that could go wrong, because I realized I was putting a lot of faith on people I didn't really know that well.

I actually tried not to come here. I tried to find better things to do in Brazil to prevent myself from this exposure. But nothing seemed to be quiet as challenging or even new and interesting as leaving my home, my friends, and family to meet the world.

I now have come to realize how much of a daddy's little girl I was. Not in a bad way, tough. The thing is that I never had to do anything on my own. I had loving parents and siblings that protected me all they could from facing the difficulties that I would obviously have to face some day. And although I am actually deeply thankful for that, it was about time for me to leave and live. So I packed my things along with my shaking heart and left.

I have got to say that my expectations weren't the best. I remember being asked by the lady from the Immigration Department at the airport if I had any intentions of ever coming back to Canada. Poor thing. I looked at her as if she had three heads and no brain and said "no" in the most obvious and sarcastic ton I could make. I feel bad now 'cos I guess I lied. A part of me really wishes I didn't have to go now.

It was in Canada that I did my first laundry and swept my own room. In Canada I got to go out all by myself. Go shopping, comparing prices and quality of similar products. Making decisions. Managing my own money to make it to the end of the month safely. Not that I was that much of a spender in the first place... But in other words, it was in Canada that I grew up. But more than that: I met people. I got to see some of them through and surprise myself with their kindness and love. 
I wish I had better words to express how touched I am for the way Priscilla and I were received and taken care of by the staff at the International Office from the College of the Rockies. I will never forget the image of Jeff, the manager of international education and mobility of the college, all clean and well dressed, going down on his knees to pump my wheels. I gotta say I was actually expecting him to have someone else to do the dirty job, but no! He did it himself and actually fixed my tire. I won't forget all the help from Chao and her husband, Alex. How they took care of us from the biggest things to the smallest details, specially the day Chao made Priscilla some soup because she was sick. That was heartwarming. I will definitely not forget how good I felt around Clair. As though she could provide me all the safety and love that I would only feel around my mom. All the caring words and smiles that actually encouraged me to stay. I can't forget to mention the craziest, but sweetest Mexican ever. Thank you, Luis, for all the help you provided me every time my chair broke down or when we ran out of toilet paper... You are the best. No wonder the International Office is the number one in Canada.

I also want to thank Allan and the whole Facilities Department for all the effort they put into making my life so much easier in Cranbrook. I am deeply thankful to Gwen and all the girls from the College's Hair Salon, specially my dearest Jamie. Thank you for doing my hair every week and not charging me a penny for it. From the very bottom of my heart, thank you all so much. 
I will always take with me every single one from the Fellowship Baptist and the New Life Foursquare Church in Cranbrook. You are one of the things that hurt me the most to leave. I will miss so much the love and fellowship I have found in you. You brought new life into me. My special thanks for the Marllat family. I got to see God in the way you treat each other and the way you have received us into your lives. For Ron and his wife Marg, for Beth and Wayne, for Donna and Fred, Pauline, Bob, Diane and Frank. I apologize for having the worst memory ever when it comes to remembering names. I can assure you however that your love won't be forgotten. From the Foursquare Church, my sincere gratitude for Bill and John, for Pastor Gordon and his wife Jacqueline, for Ed and all the ones that received us with a smile on their faces and the love of Christ in their hearts. I will never forget this. 
Last, but not least, to the new friends I have made in here: Priscilla (aka Priscillete), Andrea, Jeremy, Michiel, Morris and Lexi. You're simply the best. I had so much fun with you guys. Thank you so much for taking such a good care of me. Honestly, I couldn't have made it without you. I hope we will all meet someday and that this friendship will endure distance and time. I love you with all my heart. 
It is because of you all that I now have no doubt whatsoever that there is somebody up there in the sky watching out for me every single day of my life. 

I already miss you.

Comentários

  1. Took my breath away. have an amazing time at home, I'm glad you had a wonderful time here!! I love and miss you so much already too Paula<3 we all do:)

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. You're the sweetest little thing, Charity. Thank you for your comment and thank you for being my friend. I miss you lots.

      Excluir

Postar um comentário

Meus últimos pins